An upcoming virtual climate change symposium, “Climate Change: Refresh, Renew and Re-pivot to Action,” organized by the United States Agency for International Development Eastern and Southern Caribbean Mission (USAID/ESC), is an eight-part public series featuring virtual events over three-weeks during June 2021. Regional participants include CARICOM, national governments, USAID partners, the private sector, civil society, and the general public. U.S. Ambassador to Suriname Karen Lynn Williams will introduce a panel on June 24 discussing the climate change challenges facing Suriname, Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago, Barbados, and St. Lucia.
The symposium comes after U.S. President Joe Biden direct that the U.S. rejoin the Paris Agreement on climate change in January 2021. Confronting the climate crisis is one of the Biden administration’s highest goals.
USAID/ESC’s symposium aims to renew and strengthen existing partnerships in the region by encouraging dialogue and sharing information and opportunities on climate change. With its opening session on June 16, the event will feature representatives from the U.S. Government, CARICOM, the Caribbean Community Climate Change Center, and other regional organizations. It will conclude with the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding between USAID and leading regional climate change entities, solidifying a commitment to collaboration.
Other symposium sessions will feature presentations and panel discussions from scientists, the private sector, government, civil society, and youth leadership, as well as academia. These regional climate change experts will share information on the impacts of this crisis in priority sectors and fields, existing responses, best practices, and gaps as well as regional opportunities to strengthen resilience.
Details on joining the virtual symposium can be found on the Facebook page of the USAID/ESC https://www.facebook.com/usaidescaribbean
SCHEDULE AND SESSION THEMES
● Symposium Opening Session I – 9–10 a.m. EDT: Refresh, Renew, and Re-pivot for Climate Action
● Session II – 10–11:20 a.m. EDT: Presentations by Climate Experts on Current Impacts and Future Projections
● Session III – 10–11:30 a.m. EDT: Panel Discussion on Social, Health, and Economic Impacts of Climate Change
● Session IV – 1–2:20 p.m. EDT: Panel Discussion on Climate impacts on Key Sectors “Listening to the Field”
● Session V – 9:30–11:00 a.m. EDT: Presentations on Eastern and Southern Caribbean Country Responses
● Session VI – 1:30–2:30 p.m. EDT: Interactive Panel Discussion on Youth Impact and Engagement
● Session VII – 10–11 a.m. EDT: Panel Discussion on Financing for Adaptation and Reducing Risk
● Symposium Closing Session VIII – 1–2:30 p.m. EDT: Presentations by USAID on Approaches to Climate Change and symposium summary