How to Apply for a Minor Passport (Under Age 16)

Save time. Complete and print your passport application form before coming to the Embassy.

Steps for Submitting Passport Application for Applicants Below Age 16

Appointments are now required for all passport services.  To make and cancel an appointment, please visit the ACS Appointment System.

Please schedule a different appointment for each person renewing their passport.

A minor under age 16 must appear with both parents when submitting an application for a passport. The appearance of both parents cannot be waived, (although there is provision, in certain circumstances, for one parent to present a letter of authorization – see below)

Do not sign Form DS-11 (PDF 100 KB) until requested to do so by the Consular Officer.

Minor’s Proof of U.S. citizenship (original and one copy)

    • Certified U.S. birth certificate; or
    • Previous fully valid U.S. Passport; or
    • Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240); or
    • Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350); or
    • Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization from USCIS.

Note:  A certified birth certificate has a registrar’s raised, embossed, Impressed or multicolored seal, registrar’s signature, and the Date the certificate was filed with the registrar’s office, which must be within 1 year of your birth

A Delayed Birth Certificate filed more than one year after your birth may be acceptable if it:

    • Lists the documentation used to create it and it is
    • Signed by the attending physician or midwife, or, lists an affidavit signed by the parents, or shows early public records.

Applicants should be prepared to present any foreign passport that s/he may currently hold or have held.

Evidence of Minor’s Relationship to Parents/Guardians (Original and one copy)

    • Certified U.S. state birth certificate (with  parents’  names)
    • Certified foreign birth certificate (with parents’ names and translation, if applicable);
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
    • Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350)
    • Adoption Decree (with adopting parents’ names) as well as amended State birth certificate listing adoptive parents’ names;
    • Court Order establishing custody; or
    • Court Order establishing guardianship.

Note: If the parent(s)’/guardian’s name(s) is/are other than that on these documents, evidence of legal name change is required.

Parental Identification (original and one copy)

Parents must submit their valid U.S. or foreign passport (copy of each bio page)

Parental Consent

Both parents must appear with a minor under the age of 16 and provide consent authorizing passport issuance; or

One parent appears and submits primary evidence of sole authority to apply (such as one of the following):

    • Notarized Form DS-3053 (Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16) signed by the non-applying parent with an attached photocopy of the non-applying parent’s identification document.  The statement of consent from the non-applying parent or guardian must not be more than 90 days from the date it was signed and notarized.  The date of the statement of consent also must be dated within 90 days of the execution of the application.
    • Child’s certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate (with translation, if necessary) listing only applying parent; or
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only applying parent; or
    • Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child’s travel is restricted by that order); or
    • Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adopting parent); or
    • Court order specifically permitting applying parent’s or guardian’s travel with the child; or
    • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or
    • Death certificate of non-applying parent.

Note:  A third-party in loco parentis applying on behalf of a minor under the age of 16 must submit a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents/ guardians authorizing a third-party to apply for a passport. When the statement or affidavit is from only one parent/guardian, the third-party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent/guardian.

Parents having concerns about passport applications for any minor child who may become the victim of an international parental child abduction, including children between the ages of 16 and 18 who are not covered by this new law, should contact the Office of Children’s Issues in the Bureau of Consular Affairs, Department of State, Washington, DC at (202) 663-2641, or visit the Office of Children’s Issues online.

U.S. Passport Photo

One color 2”by 2” Passport Photo

The photo must be:

    • Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
    • Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
    • Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
    • Taken in normal  civilian attire  without a hat or dark glasses
    • Taken with a neutral facial expression and both eyes open

Recommendations for taking infant passport photo:

    • Lay the baby down on a white sheet and take the picture while standing over the child.
    • Place the baby in car seat that has been covered with a white sheet.
    • Make sure no one else is visible in the photo.
    • Make sure the baby’s eyes are open.

Additional Requirements

    • Progression photos of the child. It is strongly recommended you bring these (hard copies) to document changes in the child’s physical appearance.
    • Original documents authorizing a name change, if the minor’s name has been changed from the name on his or her birth certificate or most recent passport (copies are not acceptable).
    • Any foreign passports that the minor may currently hold or have held.

Passport Fees

  • US$105: applicants below age 16