CRBA Checklist

In order to determine whether or not the U.S. citizen parent(s) is/are able to transmit citizenship, please refer to Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship By a Child Born Abroad.

Adopted children are not eligible for a CRBA

If you believe transmission requirements have been met, please schedule an appointment.  The day of the appointment you must submit originals and copies of the following:

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) Appointment Checklist

Arrive before your appointment time.  Applicants are subject to screening and may not bring in electronics.

You must bring the original and one photocopy of all your documents below or you may have to reschedule your appointment:

All documents in a foreign language must be translated into English.

Application (not applicable if submitting application online via MyTravelGov account): Completed and printed DS-2029 form . Do not leave any item blank.  If a question does not apply, mark “N/A” (not applicable). Important: Accurately complete the physical presence dates of the U.S. citizen parent(s) prior to the child’s birth on item 2j, page 2.

Application Fee (not applicable if submitting payment online via The $100 U.S. dollar CRBA application fee must be paid at the appointment in cash (U.S. dollars or SRD) or by credit card. Damaged bills and U.S. currency coins are not accepted.

Birth Certificate: The original or certified copy; provisional copies and photocopies are not accepted.

Proof of Parent’s Citizenship: At least one of the following documents for the U.S. citizen parent(s): U.S. passport (valid or recently expired), original U.S. birth certificate, or original Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship (if not born in the USA). Click here  for examples of citizenship evidence. To qualify for a CRBA, the U.S. citizen parent must have been a U.S. citizen prior to the child’s birth.

Proof of Parents’ Identity: Valid U.S. driver’s license, Suriname national identification card (“Identiteitskaart”), passport, etc. Click here  for photo identification information.

Proof of Relationship: Proof of the relationship between the U.S. citizen parent(s) and the child. Bring evidence of the relationship between the parents, evidence the parents were in the same place at the time of conception, prenatal records (see below), and fertility agency documentation, if applicable.

Proof of Pregnancy: Original documents of prenatal/birth records and/or other evidence of mother’s pregnancy. Note: For Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) cases, click here. 

Marriage/Divorce Certificate(s): 

  • If the parents are married, provide the original or certified copy of the marriage certificate and divorce certificates or death decrees that terminated any prior marriages, if applicable.
  • If the parents were not married at the time of child’s birth or conception, provide proof of the existence of the parents’ relationship at that time, e.g., date-stamped photos, lease agreements, receipts, financial statements, etc.

Physical Presence

  • Proof of U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the United States:
  • The period of physical presence in the United States required to transmit citizenship depends on the child’s date of birth and the marital status of the parents. Review the requirements here .
  • You must provide documentary evidence of physical presence, such as Social Security statement SSA-7004, naturalization certificate, school transcripts, school diplomas, tax forms with W-2s, paystubs, passport with entry and exit stamps, utility bills in the name of the parent, lease agreements, mortgage statements, military records DD-214, credit card statements, etc.

U.S. Passport Application: If you will apply for the child’s U.S. passport at this appointment, you must provide the following: 

  • Application form DS-11  completed and not signed. Print the completed form single-sided; we cannot accept double-sided forms. The DS-11 form must be completed using the link above; other versions of the form are not accepted.
  • Completed declaration  stating your child has not been issued a Social Security number.
  • U.S. passport-style photo of the child. One new 5×5 cm photo that meets all photo requirements .
  • Application Fee: The $135 U.S. dollar passport application fee must be paid at the appointment in cash (U.S. dollars or SRD) or by credit card. Damaged bills and U.S. currency coins are not accepted. All application fees are nonrefundable.

Note: If the documents provided do not clearly establish a biological connection between the child and the U.S. citizen parent(s), DNA testing may be recommended.