Study of the U.S. Institutes (SUSIs) for Scholars and Secondary Educators are post-graduate level academic programs for mid-career foreign scholars, faculty, practitioners, and secondary educators whose purpose is to strengthen curricula and to improve the teaching about the United States in academic institutions abroad.
These programs are anticipated to be six-week-long in-person programs with travel to the U.S. sometime between June through August 2022. Though, if conditions require they will pivot to virtual programs. Exact dates will be determined at a later time.
During the Institutes, scholars engage in rigorous academic coursework and panel discussions, interact and establish networks with American scholars, meet with experts in respective disciplines, visit civic institutions, and in some cases, participate in research symposia and conferences.
Programs under the following disciplines will be offered:
- American Culture and Values
- Education and Workforce Development
- Journalism and Media
- Religious Freedom and Pluralism in the United States
- Secondary Education
- U.S. Economics and Business
- U.S. Foreign Policy
Details on each of the disciplines can be found here: https://exchanges.state.gov/non-us/program/study-us-institutes-scholars
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Demonstrated English language proficiency
- Have limited prior experience in the United States
- Have firm plans to enhance, update, or develop courses and/or educational materials with a U.S. studies focus
- Not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States
Especially encouraged to apply are candidates who have firm plans to enhance, update or develop courses and/or educational materials with a U.S. studies focus or component; who have no prior or limited experience in the United States; and who have special interest in the program subject areas as demonstrated through past scholarship, accomplishments, and professional duties.
Applications are due January 15, 2022!
To apply, please fill out this online form: https://bit.ly/3puVlI3