PARAMARIBO – Mid-career professionals are now able to apply for the 2024-2025 Hubert Humphrey Fellowship, an exchange program offered through the U.S. Department of State.
The Humphrey Fellowship offers a year of non-degree graduate-level study, leadership development, and substantive professional collaboration with U.S. counterparts. The application process open now is for the 2024-2025 academic year program.
The deadline to apply is June 30, 2023. Full details can be found at the U.S. Embassy website: https://sr.usembassy.gov/education-culture/hubert-h-humphrey-fellowship-program/
As a non-degree program, the Humphrey Fellowship offers valuable opportunities for professional development through selected university courses, conferences, networking, and practical work experiences. While in the U.S., participants are expected to develop their own study plans, identify needed conferences, and develop their own networks.
Eligibility requirements include:
- Surinamese citizenship and residency
- Completed BA studies by the start of the grant
- At least five years of full-time professional experience
- Interest in the policy aspects of your respective field of specialization
- Demonstrated leadership qualities and a record of public service
- Completed online application, including two reference letters
- Proficiency in English
While the Humphrey program does require a high level of English skills, applicants who feel uncertain about their language abilities are encouraged to apply. The program does offer to some selected candidates the ability to travel to the U.S. early for intensive English training before the start of the program.
The Humphrey Fellowship is open to individuals working in a variety of fields, centered around four cluster areas, including:
Human and Institutional Capacity:
- Economic Development
- Finance & Banking
- Public Policy Analysis and Public Administration
- Technology Policy and Management
Rights and Freedoms:
- Communications and Journalism
- Law and Human Rights
- Agricultural and Rural Development
- Natural Resources, Environmental Policy, and Climate Change
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Public Health Policy and Management
- Substance Abuse Education, Treatment and Prevention
- Educational Administration, Planning, and Policy
The program covers all expenses and is free to apply. Full details can be found on the U.S. Embassy website: https://sr.usembassy.gov/education-culture/hubert-h-humphrey-fellowship-program/
We encourage anyone who is interested to apply, especially those from outside Paramaribo or who come from marginalized communities.
For further information, please contact the Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy via email ParamariboPAS@state.gov.